Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu

My dad just called me. He said he wanted me to go to Walgreens or somewhere to buy some surgical masks for me and Holland for our flight tomorrow (a side note, I guess he forgot I work in the surgery department at the hospital!). I was like, "do you really think it's that bad?" Because to be honest with you, I've been rolling my eyes at this whole media wolf cry. But then he told me that one of his customers came down with it, and I read the headline about the little girl who became the first death in the US from it...in Houston...not very far away at all. My dad and his wife even cancelled a trip they have been planning for months to South Padre Island next weekend. He said they're not going anywhere near Mexico.

So, I called Kev and asked him what he thought. He said there was no harm in taking precautions. I told him I thought I'd look like an idiot with a mask on and one taped to my baby. He said I probably won't be the only one.

And then, as I got off the phone with him, I felt fear starting to well up in me. What if Bronwyn is exposed at school? Are some of our dear friends who live in Houston safe? What if , what if, what if???? And I feel the Lord very strongly saying to me, "...a thousand may fall at your right hand, and ten thousand at your left, but it will not come near you..." That, of course, is from Psalm 91, where we are given promises of protection for those who "dwell in the secret place of the Most High...under the shadow of His wings..."

So I just encourage you believers, let's not fear. Let's pray. Pray for the sick, pray for the lost, pray for the scared. But do not fear.

No comments: