Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Old Friends

I had a little bit of an organizational spurt last weekend. I still haven't tackled our junk drawer, but I did manage to arrange our 3 cd drawers. It was such a mess. Not even pre-Holland nesting could force me to attempt it. But I had bought some plastic boxes at Wal Mart like 3 months ago and they've just been sitting on top of my dryer ever since. I wanted to finally find a place for them, so I just had to bite the bullet and do it. I wish I had taken a picture. I threw away about 500 broken jewel cases and about a hundred CDRs and/or ones Kevin had bought when he was in his weird techno phase. I put all the discs that were loose in either an intact case or a big travel case. Now, I didn't get so far as putting the discs in the correct cases, but it was better than nothing. At least the drawers open and close now.

By chance, that same day Kevin had let Boaz play in my car. I never do this as the boy is notorious for reprogramming electronics. But this time, he only managed to take all my current music selections out of my disc changer (something Kevin can't even do by himself, I might add). I've been in a music rut lately. Slot 1 was Ryan Adams, 2 was The Pop a Wheelies, 3- Ryan Adams, 4-Ryan Adams, 5-Ryan Adams, 6- Coldplay. You see what I mean.

But while I was cleaning out the drawers, I ran across some old friends. Albums I loved once upon a time and listened to non-stop at various points in my life. So, I decided out with the new and in with the old. And very much like old friends, some of the relationships have been difficult. With some friends you can pick right up where you left off, and with others you find you just don't click anymore. Here are my old pals:

#1- Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Still a great buddy, but I can only take just a little at a time.
#2- Don Chaffer (they guy from Waterdeep). I don't remember the name of this album. I can't find the sleeve anywhere. But it's just as well, because this friend is boring and depressed.
#3- 100 Portaits, don't remember the name of this either (I told you these were old!). Still very interesting, though. I'm wading back in.
#4-Misty Edwards, Always On His Mind. I am so glad that I can listen to this again. I made the mistake of listening to it while I was very first pregnant with Boaz. After that, anytime I heard any of the songs I was instantly nauseous. But I love it. It's a friend that inspires my in my walk with God and fills my heart with love and longing.
#5-Shane&Shane, Carry Away. A very comfortable pal to be with, that brings back wonderful memories. When Bronwyn was little bity there was a cd player on top of the armoir in her room. Every time I would nurse her I would listen to this album (or Radio Reader on NPR). Listening to it now reminds me of those sweet moments as a brand new mom with my first born. She's so grown up now, I like to think about when she was still so new and helpless, and I was the love of her life.
#6-Heather Clark, Undivided Focus. Umm, not so much. I haven't really figured out why I hung out with this one. Maybe we werent as good of friends as I remembered.

I wonder when Ryan Adams will become and old friend instead of a current passion? Probably never :)

No comments: